I recently started watched a wide variety of videos on YouTube, and discovered the “product empties” genre. Are you familiar with these? Basically, people show empty containers of products they finished during the month, and most also give mini-reviews of them. A lot of the empties videos I’ve seen focus on makeup, and/or skincare, and/or household products, but I wouldn’t be surprised if these videos exist for other kinds of products, too.
The first couple of times I watched these videos, I found them kind of ridiculous. I mean, what’s the point of looking at the empty packages of products other people have used?? But I did appreciate the reviews of some products I was interested in, and eventually I started to wonder about the quantity of products I used up in given month. How many hand soaps? Cleaners? Lip balm? So… I decided to keep track of my own product empties from last month!
Here’s what I finished up:
- Bottle of Herbal Essences Touchably Smooth shampoo: I’m not too picky about my shampoo and conditioner, so I usually buy whatever I can get the best deal on.
- Tube of Carmex Original Flavor lip balm: This is my go-to lip balm. I love this stuff, and use it year-round.
- Tube of Pantene Curl Sculpting Gel: The gel I’ve been using for many years has become very difficult to find – and quite costly when I do! – so I’m trying some new options. This one was pretty good.
- Tube of Bath & Body Works body cream in Salted Caramel Apricot: I love this scent so much, it was one of my recent Fall 2017 Favorites!
- Travel size tube of DevaCurl SuperCream Coconut Curl Styler: This was in the Sephora Favorites Defined Curls set. It smells lovely and made my hair very soft, but provided zero hold.
- Sample size of Beauty Protector Protect & Detangle spray: I received this in my November Birchbox. It’s another lovely smelling product, but I can’t say whether it made any difference in the condition of my hair.
- Tube of Colgate Total Daily Repair toothpaste: I’m not picky about toothpaste either, so I tend to buy whatever is on sale.
- Bottle of Clear Care Cleaning & Disinfection Solution: I wear extended-wear (each set lasts for three months) contacts, and this cleans them really well.
- Pack of Finish Powerball dishwasher tablets: These work well, so I stock up whenever they go on sale.
- Bath & Body Works Caramel Pumpkin Swirl 3-wick candle: Read about my candle obsession here.
- Bath & Body Works Vanilla Pumpkin Marshmallow 3-wick candle: I’m (obviously) a sucker for these sweet, candle scents.
Skincare & Makeup
- Pack of Philosophy Purity Made Simple Facial Cleansing Cloths: These work well, but I’ll try other, cheaper brands.
- Travel size of Clinique Take the Day Off Make Up Remover: This works well, but I’ll probably try other brands.
- Full size of Clinique Redness Solutions Daily Relief Cream: I have rosacea, so I’m always game to try products that claim to combat redness. I don’t think this helped at all.
- Trial size of Clinique Smart Custom-Repair Eye Treatment: I’m almost 43, and some fine lines are starting to crop up around my eyes. Does eye cream help them? I’m not sure, but moisturizing the delicate skin around my eyes can’t hurt.
- Set of Wilma Schumann Hydrating Collagen Eye Pads: In addition to fine lines, I have chronic dark circles and puffiness under my eyes – even when I get lots of sleep. I received these eye pads in a free-with-purchase sample bag, and loved the way they made my under-eye area feel after I used them.
- Mini tube of Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick in Bacca: I very rarely throw out a product without finishing it up – even if I don’t like it – but I decided to toss this one immediately after the first application. It’s a very bright berry color, and no matter how much I blotted it, I looked like a clown with it on.
Product Hit of the Month: Hands down, that wonderful Bath & Body Works Salted Caramel Apricot body cream!
Product Miss of the Month: Definitely the Stila lipstick. The product, itself, may be great, but that color was appalling on me!
If you follow me on Instagram, you’ve probably seen my Sample Sunday posts. I love sample sizes and trying new products of all kinds, but I’ve been hanging onto my stash for a while, rather then putting them to use. As a result, I’ve started pulling out a few each Sunday, to try out over the next week or so. Here are the samples I finished in November:
Do you use any of these products, too? Are you a big fan of samples, or do you stick with the tried-and-true?
This post contains affiliate links, which help support this blog. Thank you!!